Confidential Disposition (Shred!) Day will be Wednesday January 11th, 2023. All records must be collected by noon, Tuesday January 10th (details below).
To support a more sustainable campus and to promote better business workflows, Williams Office of VP Finance, Operations, and Treasurer and the records management program (Special Collections, Libraries) sponsor a confidential disposition (shred) day!
* As this service is about creating better, more efficient practices for business at the college, it is only available to staff and faculty.
*Shred Day is delayed this year by a month due to renovations in the Libraries.
If you are uncertain of what to shred, please refer to your department’s or office’s retention schedule. If you don’t have a retention schedule you can refer to the General College Records Retention Schedule and the Board of Trustees approved Records Management Policy.
Would you like an individualized records retention schedule? Please contact Jessika. She is happy to meet with you.
Information may live in a variety of containers: Google Docs, Word files, txt files, email, and even TikTok! In contrast to ten years ago, most records are now born-digital, meaning the paper form is not the copy of record (it is a derivative). Paper and digital information follow the same retention periods. When documents live on your computer, external hard drive, server, Gmail, or Google Drive this does not mean we should keep them forever! If you are cleaning out your paper files for Shred Day, this is a perfect time to organize digital materials. This includes organizing digital records for permanent retention and destruction. If you need assistance, Jessika is available for appointments.
Here is some helpful documentation. Remember to follow records retention and disposition guidelines!
About the Day:
ProShred, a professional confidential disposition company, will shred (on-site at the Library Shelving Facility or the LSF) records in need of destruction.
In coordination with the records manager, Jessika, you can send material over to LSF prior to January 10th.
In order to store material in preparation for confidential disposition, you must have a label and an accession number.
How it works:
- Email Jessika with the number of boxes you plan to shred. Jessika will provide an accession number. Put the accession number and other relevant information on box labels. (Choose File –> Copy to save a copy for your own use). This is required.
- Register. This is also required.
- Once Jessika is contacted and the form is filled out, Jessika, with Library Shelving Facility staff, will arrange for pickup of your boxes. The final day for pickup for this shred cycle is Tuesday January 10th at noon.
- The shred company shreds material on January 2023 at the Library Shelving Facility (LSF).
If materials to be shredded are in binders, please remove the paper from the binders. Three ring binders cannot be shredded. You do not need to remove paper clips or staples.
You can also dispose of floppy discs, audio cassettes, VHS, CDs, and DVDs. Please separate this type of material in a separate box that is clearly labeled.
Any questions? Please reach out!