- Through 8/29: Entrance is controlled through card-swipe. Only current students, faculty and staff, faculty emeriti, research associates, and others with full Williams credentials may enter.
- Starting 8/30: Open/walk-in access resumes (contingent on a stable public health outlook)
- Masks: Those not fully vaccinated, are required to wear masks and to observe social distancing.
- COVID level services are gradually being phased out and returning to pre-pandemic levels:
- Non-contact access to collections is still available but only through on-site pick-up (we no longer mail library materials to home addresses).
- Document delivery services will scan only selected chapters/sections (no more scanning of entire books)
Library services for Summer 2021 (starting June 1)
- Access is restricted to
- current faculty and staff
- current students working/living on campus or residing locally
- faculty emeriti
- others will full Williams credentials and with card-swipe access to buildings
- Restricted access is likely to continue through the summer
- Entrance to buildings is by swipe-card access (See library hours).
- Access to Special Collections' reading room and galleries: Unscheduled/walk-in access to those with access to the building.
- Food is once again allowed in the libraries.
- For CET services check the and rooms, check CET's information page.
- Services will be expanded gradually through the summer based on the availability of the college's staff. We appreciate your patience as we work toward:
- Returning all furniture (tables, chairs, couches and yes, bean bags!)
- Re-opening the water fountains
- Re-installing the vending machines
- Access is restricted to
- Fully vaccinated individuals are no longer required to wear masks or practice social distancing in the library. People who are not fully vaccinated, are still be required to wear masks and to observe social distancing.
- Occupancy restrictions are lifted for all spaces (including elevators and restrooms). Furniture will gradually returned through the summer (thank you for your patience).
Request & Pick-up - For materials from the general collections and A/V equipment. Pick-up available within 24H (Monday-Friday) at the entrances of Sawyer and Schow. How to request items for pick-up. [Service available only to current faculty, students and staff]
Request & Scanning - For scans of pages, chapters and sections. Priority is given to requests in support of Fall classes. Request scans. [Service available to current faculty, students staff, and other users with full Williams login credentials]
Request & Home Delivery - As of June 1, 2021 this service is no longer available. Request & Delivery to campus offices will resume in the fall.
Unschedule/walk-in service available Monday-Friday, 10AM-4PM, to those with card-swipe access to Sawyer library.
Appointments may still be scheduled.
Reference and research support continues to be available via email. Researchers may request scans of Special Collections material, but scanning is limited based on staff availability and condition of the material. Priority for scanning service is given to requests in support of Fall classes.
- Research assistance is available online through a virtual drop-in desk, chat, and email.
- Liaison librarians are available to consult through online appointments.
- Special Collection librarians are available online to answer reference questions and discuss access to collections.
- Instruction librarians are available to work with faculty to plan courses that include research modules and/or library instruction to teach students research skills. See Teaching Research Skills for details of asynchronous and synchronous options.
- The online library is fully functional. E-books, e-journals, streaming databases are discoverable and accessible through the library catalog. Remote services are described on the Study Away page. The Off-Campus Access page provides step by step instructions for connecting to library subscription services.
Interlibrary Loan is open. Requests are processed in a timely manner, but we do expect some difficulties securing some materials based on the level of services offered by lending libraries. Place an interlibrary loan request.
Services are available to current faculty, students, staff, and users with full Williams login credentials. Service include:
- Scans of articles and/or book chapters
- Borrowing of tangible materials (books, videos). For users with swipe-card access to campus buildings: borrowed materials may be picked up at the service desks or through non-contact service in Sawyer and Schow.
- Streaming - We will digitize library-owned films and make them available in GLOW. Request streaming. For questions, contact Mary Dzbenski.
- Print Reserve - Whenever possible, we will acquire ebook editions of materials needed. If an ebook is not available, we will place tangible materials on Reserve.