Through our membership to HathiTrust, Williams Libraries is now able to provide lawful access to digital copies of 250,000 copyrighted books from our print collections. This represents 50% of our print collection! This access is offered to HathiTrust member libraries through the Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS). This emergency access to copyrighted materials is in addition to the 6.5 million out-of-copyright titles already accessible through HathiTrust.
How to access this collection?
Users must be must be logged in to HathiTrust.Access to the Williams collection is available either by
- selecting HathiTrust from the library’s A-Z Databases list
- going to hathitrust.org, then login:
- click on the yellow Log In button
- find and select Williams College from the list of partner institutions
- login with your Williams credentials
What is accessible?
- Books under copyright available through the Emergency Temporary Access Service (labelled “Temporary Access”)
- Books out-of-copyright available through the regular Williams membership (labelled “Full View”)
- Books marked “Limited (search-only)” are unavailable (restricted based on the Terms of the Service)
- Access is only available to students, faculty and staff (no access to alumni or guest affiliations).
- Books are available through a ‘check-out’ model.
- Check-out period is 1 hour per book. Access will be renewed automatically at the end of that hour, unless another user requested the book after that hour is over.
- This service is a read-online model: books can’t be downloaded (only single-page download is authorized)
More information on ETAS
HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service is offered as a surrogate to access to physical collections. Once the library regains access to the print collection, the access to copyrighted materials will be discontinued.
If you need assistance and/or have questions about this service, contact the Ask A Librarian service.