International Law and TreatiesGlobal Legal Monitor
(2003 - present) - Online publication from the Law Library of Congress covering legal news and developments worldwide. It draws on information from official national legal publications and reliable press sources.
For a comprehensive look at all United Nations resources and how to navigate them, see United Nations Research Guides & Resources
Statutory and case law
- LexisNexis Academic Choose "International Legal" from the left navigation bar. Citations may reference International Legal Materials I.L.M. (library has 1962-2010 at JX68 .I5; recent issues are online)
- Search for cases, statutory law, treaties and human rights documents from the European Court of Justice. It "constitutes the judicial authority of the European Union and, in cooperation with the courts and tribunals of the Member States, it ensures the application and uniform interpretation of Community law.
The Court of Justice of the European Communities, which has its seat in Luxembourg, consists of three courts: the Court of Justice, the Court of First Instance (created in 1988) and the Civil Service Tribunal (created in 2004)."
Arbitration and dispute resolution - Intergovernmental
- International Court of Justice (1946-current; online) The judicial organ of the United Nations. Select "decisions" for text of judgments and opinions. Library also has print JX1971.6 .H3r from 1946-current.
- Permanent Court of International Justice (1922-1946; online) The judicial organ of the League of Nations. Collection of judgments and opinions, arranged by series.
- JX1991 .H25 (1920-current) United Nations Reports of International Arbitral Awards (R.I.A.A.) / Recueil des sentences arbitrales. Volumes include table of cases and subject index.
- JX1971 .S26 (1902-1928) Digest of the decisions of the Permanent Court of Arbitration. Organized by topic, with texts in German, French and English.
- JX1971 .H3 (1899-1932) The Hague Court Reports (First and Second Series) Awards and documents of each case submitted before the first Permanent Court of Arbitration and Commission of Inquiry, under the provisions of the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907 for the "pacific settlement of international disputes".
Arbitration and dispute resolution - Trade
Treaties and Conventions
- United Nations Treaty Series (UNTS) (1920-current) Library subscription database contains the full text of treaties and international agreements to which U.N. member nations are party. Includes the League of Nations Treaty Series (LNTS) 1920-1944. See main United Nations website for more general info.
- Government Documents S 9.14: Treaties in Force (current only), also available online. Annual list of all bilateral and multilateral treaties and agreements to which the United States is party that are in effect as of January 1 of the current year.
- REF JX231 .U5 Cumulative Indexes to United States Treaties and Other International Agreements (1776-1983). Cumulative Indexes are in discrete series and are arranged by treaty number, chronology, country, and by subject. From 1776-1950, treaties and international agreements were published in Statutes at Large K104 .U6. From 1950-1983, the full-text of treaties is found in JX231 .U5, located on the mezzanine level. Use the index located in Reference Dept. to get the correct citation.
- United States Treaties and other International Agreements (1984-current) continues as separate "slip" treaties in location JX231 .U51 [numbered]. These are arranged numerically by date of signing.
- NORMLEX is a new information system which brings
together information on International Labour Standards (such as
ratification information, reporting requirements, comments of the ILO's
supervisory bodies, etc.) as well as national labour and social security
laws. It includes the formerly-separate databases ILOLEX and NATLEX.
- International Organization for Standardization ISO standards are technical agreements which provide the framework for compatible technology worldwide. Site links to purchase options, which may be available through InterLibrary Loan. Contact Rebecca Ohm for assistance.
United Nations Resolutions
- International Criminal Court Description, history, founding and implementation documents ... "an independent permanent International Criminal Court in relationship with the United Nations system, with jurisdiction over the most serious crimes of concern to the international community as a whole".
- Interpol "facilitates cross-border police co-operation, and supports and assists all organizations, authorities and services whose mission is to prevent or combat international crime."
- Ecolex Searchable database on global environmental law.